The animal/ mythical creature would dance along the street to the calonarang dance. A priest would throw Holy Water at it. It is known as the Demon Queen and Mother of All Spirit Guarders.
The lion barong is one of five traditional Barong. In Bali each region of the island has its own protective spirit for its forests and lands. Each Barong for each region is modeled after a different animal. There is a boar, a tiger, a dragon (or serpent) and the traditional lion. The lion is the popular one as it comes from the Gianyar region where Ubud (the home of tourist viewed ritual) is located. Within the calonarang, the dance drama in which the Barong appears, the barong responds to Rangda's use of magic to control and kill her to restore balance.
Barong in fiction
* Digimon has a character named Baromon (AKA Baronmon) who is named after him.
* Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne has Barong as a recruitable enemy. Having a "speaking" Barong in your party speak with a wild Rangda may lead to a "Special Conversation" that relates heavily to how the two relate to each other in the mythology, as well as grant an item to the player. Like many other Shin Megami Tensei games, fusing Barong with Rangda will create Shiva.
* Persona 3 also has Barong as a Persona.
* "Jūken Sentai Gekiranger" has a character named Master Bat Lee who wears Barong attire and teaches Retsu/GekiBlue Bat-Fist Style.
* In Azure Dreams for the Gameboy Color, a Barong is a rare monster. If the player throws an item at a Barong, it will spit out a different item.